While Hurricane Sandy left a path of destruction in October of 2012, it also symbolized unity as the entire world turned to each other for hope, help and healing. That unity was the inspiration for a painting titled What is Unity?
AS WE REMEMBER, HERE ARE 10 FACTS ABOUT HURRICANE SANDY:
- The hurricane began as a tropical wave in the Caribbean and quickly turned into a tropical storm in just 6 hours.
- It was upgraded to a hurricane on Oct. 24 when it reached 74 mph winds
- The National Hurricane Center says that the tropical force winds extended 820 miles at their widest.
- Sandy’s pure kinetic energy for storm surge and wave destruction potential reached a 5.8 out of 6 on the National
- Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s scale.
- The total death toll reached 285, including at least 125 deaths in the United States.
- The hurricane caused close to $62 billion in damage in the United States and at least $315 million in the Caribbean.
- Hurricane Sandy is the nation’s most expensive storm since Hurricane Katrina, which caused $128 billion in damage.
- New York was most severely impacted due to damage to subways and roadway tunnels.
- In New York and New Jersey, storm surges were 14 ft above the average low tide.
- At the height of the storm, over 7.5 million people were without power.
- The government wants to prevent future disasters from storms by having electrical transformers in commercial buildings hauled to upper floors, the ability to shutter key tunnels, airports and subways, and more.